With so much information on the internet about two way radio waterproof’s it’s hard to find the top and most direct information. here’s a piece from a good website that i believe as true, don’t quote me on it but please read and enjoy
Are you wondering how to operate a walkie talkie? It’s actually quite simple as they are simple versatile devices that can be used almost anywhere. As you are just learning how to use walkie talkies, we recommend you start with the simplest set possible and go from there. We’ve created a short guide that should prove helpful.
Step 1 — Read the manufacturer’s instructions before you do anything. The instructions will show you where buttons, speakers and microphones are located. Make sure that you charge the handset or put in the required batteries into both models before you start working. Another important point is to check the distance that the walkie-talkie will cover as simple models can only be used over short distances.
Step 2 – Decide how many people will be on a network. If you are using your walkie-talkie over more than five miles, you will require the permission of local authorities and you will have to set up a dispatcher who will coordinate your calls. However, for short distances and for personal use, you can call each other’s walkie-talkies directly.
Step 3 — For long distances, you will have to give each other pennames that will help you recognize each other. This is also useful for short distance use as commercial walkie-talkies usually use the same frequency and you may have people in the same area broadcasting to you by mistake.
Step 4 — Once you have the basics ready, you can actually start using your handset by pressing down on the transmit button. Talk into the microphone of your handset when the button is pressed down. Let go of the button and other people can talk back to you.
1. You can make your conversation private by buying voice scrambled sets. Some handsets have 14 channels with more than 10 sub channels that will keep your conversation on a private frequency.
2. Keep your conversation simple and brief. Always state CLEAR after completing your conversation so that the other person can start talking.
3. Make sure you carry an extra battery if you plan to use your walkie-talkies for an extended period of time. You can also carry batteries that will extend the life of your handset.
4. Handsets are very delicate and dropping them can destroy the circuitry inside the model. If possible, also make sure that you have waterproofing on the Walkie Talkie to prevent permanent damage.
5. Only one handset can transmit at a time and you have to be careful to ensure that the conversation can be carried out in entirety.
6. Wait two seconds after pressing the transmit button. This is because if you start speaking immediately, the first few seconds are lost to the listener.
7. All models have a volume dial, a channel dial and some models have extra dials that offer different functions. Make sure that you do not click on the buttons by mistake as it can completely block up the channel and prevent anyone else from using the system.
The bottom line
Using a walkie-talkie is simple and fun and it is a very common method of staying in connection with friends and family on an outing.